DENVER — A Colorado state representative who has accused a fellow lawmaker of sexual harassment says she intends to file a formal complaint at the state Capitol, triggering a confidential investigation.
Gov. John Hickenlooper is facing criticism for asking government retirees and employees to contribute more than taxpayers to help pay off the massive unfunded liability hanging over the state’s pension system. His critics should stand down. Hickenlooper’s plan to pay down the more than $32 billion liability in the next 30 years is a responsible stance that gets out ahead of an ugly political battle sure to erupt when lawmakers return to the Capitol in January.
The State Board of Education ended a two-year debate over how to measure the reading skills of Colorado’s youngest students learning English as a second language after it unanimously adopted Wednesday new policies to comply with a legislative compromise passed last spring.
In an effort to keep federal dollars flowing to Colorado classrooms, the State Board of Education voted Wednesday to create two quality systems for the state’s schools — the existing one designed in 2009 by state lawmakers, and a new one that meets federal requirements.
The unusual arrangement amounts to a compromise between the state education department and the U.S. Department of Education.
After Colorado became a national epicenter for the opt-out movement in 2015, the State Board of Education adopted a policy that did not count students who opted out of the tests in the school’s average test score. Students who missed the test and were not excused by parents still counted against a school’s score.
That proved to be a sticking point when state officials submitted Colorado’s plan for complying with the nation’s new education law, the Every Student Succeeds Act. Federal officials sent the plan back, saying the opt-out provision didn’t comply with the new law.
In the compromise, the state will continue to issue state school quality ratings that don’t penalize schools for high opt-out rates.
However, the state will create a separate list of schools based on the federal requirement that students who opt out are counted as not proficient.
Some state board members worried two systems would create additional work for teachers, create confusion among the public or misidentify schools.
State officials said Wednesday, teachers, students and parents shouldn’t notice much difference. No school or district will be responsible for submitting more data. The state will be responsible for slicing and dicing results from annual tests as they have in the past.
Because Colorado students who opt out tend to be white and more affluent, this change could flag schools for financial support to boost learning that really don’t need it.
State education officials assured the board that it had discretion in identifying whether a school is truly low-performing or if its scores are deflated from low participation.
Earlier this fall, the state took a voluntary step toward the two-system approach when it published a list of schools that qualify for federal grants. The state adopted some, but not all of the federal requirements, when it created that list.
Board member Steve Durham, a Colorado Springs Republican, said he hoped the state would not publicize the results from the federal identification system.
“It should not be given equal weight with the data that we find appropriate,” he said.
Durham also asked the state education department to remind schools that it is still illegal to penalize students who opt out of state tests. (It’s also against the law to incentivize students to skip the English and math exams.)
The state must resubmit its plan to the federal government by Oct. 23.
Chalkbeat is a nonprofit news site covering educational change in public schools.
Normally, the Colorado Rockies making the Major League Baseball playoffs would be cause for celebration. It’s a big deal because it’s a rare feat. Usually by October, Colorado sports fans have turned their full attention to the Broncos because the Rockies have fallen out of contention. But this year, the Rox celebrated their first playoff appearance in eight years after the Milwaukee Brewers were mathematically eliminated on Saturday. The players sprayed champagne in the clubhouse after losing a meaningless game to the division-leading Los Angeles Dodgers.
More than 200 Colorado schools, most with vast and stubborn achievement gaps, could be eligible under new federal guidelines for a slice of $11 million in state and federal school improvement grants and aid.
The state education department earlier this month notified school districts — from the suburban Cherry Creek to the rural Burlington — of their eligibility to apply for the money and other state services.
This list of schools, which Chalkbeat obtained in a request, and a companion grant application that has yet to be released are part of Colorado’s yet-to-be approved plan to comply with the nation’s new education law, the Every Student Succeeds Act, or ESSA.
The new law requires states like Colorado, which under a waiver from the previous federal law focused most of its time and resources on schools failing most students, to also focus attention on schools that are leaving some historically disadvantaged students behind.
The state used results from its preliminary school quality ratings — which help the state spot schools that need help improving learning — and new federal guidelines to identify which schools should make the list.
Sixty-seven schools on the list are also on the state’s watchlist for persistent low performance. Another 163 schools are eligible for the funding, bringing the total to 230. That number could change because the state hasn’t finalized the school quality ratings.
Schools that appear on the new list will be eligible to apply for a variety of grants and services from the department through a single application, a first for Colorado. In previous years, schools were required to apply to each grant on a case-by-case basis.
Department officials hope the move will cut back on unnecessary paperwork and “match money and resources with the needs in the districts,” said Peter Sherman, the state education department’s executive director of school performance.
“Off our radar”
The new federal rules are shining a fresh light on a number of schools in traditionally high performing school districts such as Thompson and Poudre, both in northern Colorado.
“ESSA is having schools identify in different ways,” said Lisa Medler, the education department’s executive director of improvement planning. “We have districts that are getting identified that are not on the state’s accountability radar.”
The law requires the state to place schools into two categories.
Schools in need of the most help are identified for what ESSA calls “comprehensive support.” These schools must check a couple of boxes. They must get Title I money — supplemental funding from the federal government for schools with a large number of low-income students. They also must rank in the bottom 5 percent of the state’s school quality ratings. High schools also can get the designation if they graduate fewer than 67 percent of their students.
The second category of schools, which need help but not as much, are identified for “targeted support.” As the name suggests, achievement for specific groups of students — but not all — is lagging. These include students of color, students eligible for subsidized lunch prices, students with disabilities or students learning English as a second language. To determine which schools fit the definition, the state looks at how different groups perform on state math and English tests over three years.
Most of the schools on the list — 150 out of 231 — fall into the second category. Of those 150 schools, 118 were identified because of how poorly their students with special needs performed on state tests.
That so many schools would be identified for failing special needs students didn’t surprise state officials.
“If you look at the performance of students with disabilities it’s where we have the largest achievement gap in the state,” said Alyssa Pearson, the department’s associate commissioner for accountability, performance and support.
Tracy Doran, the Adams 12 Five Star School District’s chief academic officer, said the suburban school district will take a “more passionate look” at how students with special needs are being served at three schools identified by the education department.
While the school still has a high enough quality rating not to be flagged for more radical reforms, it was named on the new list for low-performing groups of students.
Doran said there could be some confusion in the state having two lists of schools that are struggling, using different measures.
But “if what comes out of this is a difference for students on IEPs, then that’s a positive outcome,” Doran said, referring to the individualized education plans students with special needs are required to have. “We’d be happy to be pushed to be thinking really critically about this.”
New grant process
Doran and other school leaders in a similar situation will be able to apply for help from the state using a single application process beginning this year.
There are more than a dozen different grants and free services from the state schools may apply for. The lists of options includes a $50,000 diagnostic review, $70,000 for principal training, or free community engagement training.
State officials say the new application — which they believe to be the first of its kind in the nation — is meant to help both struggling schools and the state think critically about schools’ needs.
Put another way, state officials hope to play a larger role in connecting troubled schools with the help they need, not the help schools think they want.
“It’s not about throwing a lot of money at these schools,” Sherman said. “But it’s about investing in the right actions at the right time.”
Luke Ragland, president of Ready Colorado, a conservative education reform advocacy group, applauded the state education department’s work on school improvement. But Ragland, who sat on the state’s ESSA committee, said he hoped the state would make the application process even more competitive and send larger chunks of money to fewer schools.
“My main problem is that I worry that we’re spreading the money out in a formula model and that it becomes such a small amount at each school that it’s hard to make an impact,” he said. “I just worry about spreading the money too thin.”
Wendy Wyman, the superintendent of the Lake County School District who has helped the state department design the application, said “making something easier to navigate makes it less rigorous for schools to participate in.”
Still, state officials are aware of criticisms such as Ragland’s and cognizant that some school districts that value their constitutionally protected local control don’t want the state’s help. State officials say they view the new process as part of an ongoing attempt to better understand how to improve schools.
“We’re trying to create a product to support districts in what they want,” Medler said. “We’re getting feedback from districts all the time and we’re going to continue to fine tune the process.”
The state plans to release the application in mid-October.
Chalkbeat is a nonprofit news site covering educational change in public schools.
A Nerf gun battle at the Air Force Academy was reported as shots fired, setting off a campuswide panic Friday night that prompted a lockdown and left cadets huddled under their dorm room desks and some texting their parents goodbye.
Officials at the school say the false alarm, which is under investigation, drove a furor on social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and Yikyak, which turned a minor incident into the “War of the Worlds.”
Several sources at the academy say the fuse was lit by an innocent battle with Nerf guns at the academy’s preparatory school that was reported in a 911 call as an active shooter on the campus of the military school north of Colorado Springs.
“Mass hysteria,” said an Air Force Academy officer who wasn’t authorized to discuss the event and requested anonymity.
After 1 a.m., the academy took to social media to let the campus and community know there were no victims and no shots fired.
“All clear: The incident has concluded. There are no confirmed shots fired and no injuries. Everyone is safe,” the academy’s release said.
But before the incident was cleared up, the academy executed a well-honed plan to deal with a shooting on the campus.
The academy police responded with a campuswide message issued just before 10 p.m.
“An active shooter has been declared by law enforcement in the vicinity of the prep school,” a text message that went to all academy personnel said.
The academy locked its two gates and the 4,000-strong cadet wing and hundreds of families who live in housing on the 18,500-acre base were told to shelter in place.
The incident was taken so seriously by academy leaders that they called in their “crisis action team,” a group of leaders who manage emergencies at the school.
Then Twitter kicked in, in a big way.
Reports of one, then three, then eight shooters emerged.
Across Facebook, stories emerged of cadets texting their parents, with some saying goodbye.
One cadet wrote that he was sure he’d be fine. “I just wanted somebody to panic with me,” he wrote.
One Twitter account that claimed to be tied to a cadet squadron reported that the alleged shooters were dressed as police.
The ensuing panic drew another 911 call reporting shooters were at the academy’s biggest dorms, Sijan and Vandenberg. Scores of text messages to academy security forces followed.
“Trust no one,” a tweet read.
Police from around the Pikes Peak region raced to the academy to assist, with El Paso County Sheriff’s deputies and Colorado Springs police leading the pack. Local SWAT teams put on their black, armored uniforms and rolled out to address what appeared to be a siege at the academy.
Traffic on police radios showed the level of hysteria. False reports included cadets leaping from dorm windows to escape the shadowy perpetrators.
The hashtag #prayforusafa began trending on Twitter.
One officer said the panic caused an hourslong incident that should have taken minutes to resolve.
A video posted to Twitter shows SWAT officers going through a dorm, with the tweet, “These are the shooters.”
Similar panics have been triggered at military bases before by training exercises.
In 2015, Schriever Air Force Base was placed on a brief lockdown after a training exercise was mistaken for a “real-world” incident.
That also drew Colorado Springs police and deputies before the all-clear was declared.
Academy spokesman Lt. Col. Allen Herritage said Friday night’s furor “was not an exercise.”
At the academy, where some were convinced that anyone in a police uniform could be a mass killer, panic proved hard to contain.
“Suspects pretending to be (security forces),” a tweet from an account tied to the academy’s Cadet Squadron 13 said. “Do not open doors.”
Another tweet from that account said that the operations center that controls incidents at the academy and the school’s public address system had been seized.
“Do not trust the big voice,” the tweet said.
Part of the panic may be attributed to an earlier incident that put the academy on edge.
On Tuesday, an unidentified vandal wrote racial slurs on the message boards of five black cadet candidates at the academy’s prep school.
On Thursday, the academy’s superintendent, Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria, gathered the school’s 4,000 cadets along with coaches, officers, sergeants and professors in Mitchell Hall on the campus for a stern message.
“If you can’t treat someone with dignity and respect, get out,” Silveria told them.
Because the racial incident and the alleged shooting were reported at the 240-student prep school, the Friday night panic gained steam.
“First racist messages struck United States Air Force Academy and now an active shooter?” a Twitter user wrote.
By 1 a.m., deputies, security forces and police had cleared every room at the massive school.
Herritage said an investigation continues into the weird Friday night.
The good news is that the campus was never under siege.